By Zachery Riggins ’72, March 2020
In this New Year, things are progressing very nicely in the Fine Arts at Withrow. The Beginning Band program now has 66 students, which is a nucleus of a good band program. There are three bells of beginning band with approximately 22 students in each class. There are several advanced students who can already play multiple instruments. The Instrumental/Marching Band is holding steady at 16 members in the instrumental band with a total of 33 including the Tigerettes. Mike Wade has started a Marching band instrument class and a Jazz Ensemble. The ensemble consist of a guitar, sax, flute, trumpet, 2 trombones, an excellent drummer, vibraphones, and piano. Mr. Wade’s goal is to expand this group into a full-size Jazz band. Mike Wendeln teaches two Steel Band classes with of 8 students each. Their performances in the Holiday show was well received. Improvements in playing and intonation continue for the students in Mr. Beasley‘s string classes.
A Spring Concert including all music classes will have an in-school performance on April 2, 2020.
Withrow Sounds Presents “Imagination” has been CANCELLED.
A Summer Music Institute is scheduled for June 2020 and will provide a week long teaching/learning camp for all students interested in furthering their education in music.
The Fall of 2020 will see a Talent Show in September, a drama production in October and a Holiday concert in December.
A newly formed Withrow Fine Arts Team includes
– Mr. Zachery D. Riggins (Alumni Liaison, Stage Production Coordinator, Lead Fine Arts Team Leader)
– Mrs. Tanesha Anderson (Talent Coordinator/Associate School Fine Arts Team Leader)
– Ms. Diane Roland (Drama teacher)
– Mrs. Jody Mc Oskar (Behind the Scenes Support)
– Mrs. Caroline Grizzle-Burns (Behind the Scenes Support)
– Mrs. Stevens (Dynasty Dance Team)
– Mrs. Nina Hatcher (Tigerettes Dance Team)
– Mr. Nolan (Step dancers)
– Mrs. Tanesha Anderson (auxiliary dancers)
International Student’s Coordinator
– Mrs. Maria Hildalgo (ESL/international teacher)
– Ms. Jaqueline Carbajal (ESL assistant with theater experience)
– Mrs. Kilbey (Design/Art Teacher)
– Mrs. Gordon (Design/Art Teacher)
– Mrs. Laura Omaits (Beginning Band/Intermediate Band)
– Mr. Michael Wade (Jazz Band and Marching Band)
– Mr. Michael Wendeln (Steel Drum Band)
– Mrs. Alundra Childs (Pianist Choral director)
– Mr. John Beasley (String Players/Music Department Chair)
In addition, there is great support from other Withrow staff, the administration and Dr. Isidore Rudnick, Fine Arts Superintendent for CPS.
We are in need of the following instruments: 2-Concert Tubas – Uprights, 4-Bass Trombones, 4-Tenor Saxophones, 4-Baritone Saxophones, 4-French Horns, , 2-Bass Clarinets, 2-Contra Bass Clarinets, 2-Oboes, 2-Piccolos. None of these instruments currently exist at Withrow, but they are important components of a well-balanced band program. We do have 2-Bassoons, but their restoration will cost about $2000. A “Friends of Withrow” instrument repair fund was established at Buddy Rogers Music, 1939 West Galbraith Rd., Cincinnati, OH 45239, (513) 931-6780. Anyone can add to the fund at any time. This is a payment for instrument repair and not a charitable contribution. The Withrow Fine Arts Program relies heavily on support from the Withrow Alumni Assn. Please help us continue that support with a donation by clicking HERE. Thank you.