Your donations to the Withrow Alumni Assn help support Tiger Diner, an innovative program with two praiseworthy goals: first, to show appreciation to faculty and staff; and second, to provide 16 students with multiple disabilities the opportunity for job training and preparation.
Once a month, students prepare and serve a delicious lunch. During the week before, all students cook the food and bake the desserts. On the day of Tiger Diner, they set up the tables and get the food ready to serve. Jobs include hostess and wait staff. Since Withrow has three separate lunches, students rotate among jobs.
With the COVID-19 school closure, we are trying to help the students in any way we can while they are out of school. We are directing donations to the Principal’s Fund to be used by the principal at his discretion. To make a donation to the Principal’s Fund, click HERE and select Principal’s Fund.
Well-fed Tiger Athletes Perform Better
A few years ago, Alumni Assn. Board of Trustees Vice President, Carol Mitchell Lawrence ’84, started a program called Fuel Our Tigers to raise money to provide game day meals for our football players. At the beginning of this school year, the Board voted to expand this program to include home and away game day meals for all student athletes. Before, the pandemic school closing, the program was projected to provide over 7,000 meals to 475 student athletes for the school year at a cost of around $21,000. Withrow’s student athletes and coaches thank the alumni for their generous donations, which help fund this program. If you would like to help this program, please Donate Now by clicking HERE and select Help Fuel Withrow Tigers Before Sporting Events.
American playwright Thornton Wilder once said, “I regard the theater as the greatest of all art forms.” In December 1920, students at East High, later Withrow, agreed with that concept and formed the first dramatic club The East High Players. The group’s first year’s presentations were mainly plays written and performed by students. Skits with a holiday theme were presented at Christmas. When Withrow got its new name, The Players was replaced by the Thalian Dramatic Club, whose members performed their first plays in the 1925-26 school year. Eligible juniors and seniors had to try out for membership in Thalian and were judged on the “basis of character, merit, voice qualities, expression and poise.”
In 1928, a dramatic club for sophomores was founded in order to prepare students for Thalian membership. By 1931, freshmen were also admitted to this “preparatory” club, which was called Alphian Dramatic Club. Alphian did not survive but Thalian flourished under the direction of Miss Marjorie Rosenberger for almost 40 years, continuing even after her retirement in 1971.
The Withrow Players was formed in the 1935-36 school year replacing Alphian as the drama club for freshmen and sophomores. By 1944, Players was opened to all students and, like Thalian, required aspiring thespians to try out for membership. By the mid-1950s, Thalian and The Withrow Players merged and the new organization was known as Thalian Players.
Besides presenting such plays as You Can’t Take it With You and The Man Who Came to Dinner throughout the school year, the dramatic clubs also performed skits and short plays at assemblies, pep rallies, and PTA meetings. They also helped supply the end-men and walk-ons for skits in the yearly Minstrels and the Sounds of Withrow productions. The major theater productions also required the assistance of industrial arts students for sets and lighting, business students for ticketing and promotion, and other students for make-up and costumes. These opportunities for other than the dramatic students made these events truly a school-wide activity.
Scribblers, a girl’s literary society, was founded in 1924. Limited to 20 junior and senior members, Scribblers was responsible for publishing a guidebook to Withrow for incoming students. The Withrow Book contained information on school history, activities, and sports and contained all the Withrow songs and cheers that new students would need to know. In 1933, Literatus Club was organized for freshmen and sophomore girls and remained active throughout the 1930s and 40s. Admittance to these clubs was limited to those girls who submitted their own literary efforts such as a poem, essay or short story. Girls also had to be recommended by their teachers. Members had to maintain a “C” average overall and a “B” average in English. The entries submitted for membership were often published in booklet or magazine form; and for many years, Scribbler entries were published in Tower News.
The oldest organization at Withrow was the Philological Literary Society. Founded at East High’s predecessor, Madisonville High School, in 1912, the club’s objective was to prepare young men for public speaking and debating. The club met every other week and all discussions, talks and debates were held within the bounds of strict parliamentary procedures. There were no dues, and the club made its money by fines on its absent, tardy or disorderly members. Admittance to the club was by application and the submission of a 500-word essay on a current topic of interest. Prospective members were then voted on by the membership. Philologians had to maintain a “B” average in English and Social Studies. By the late 1930s, Philologia was having joint meetings with the girls of Scribblers. The club lasted until the late 1950s. As was typical of such clubs founded in the early part of the 20th century, Philologia had a club song, the chorus of which was:
Onward with each brave endeavor,
In thy name we ’ll fail no ever,
Yet our love will die no never,
Of the literary clubs, the only one open to both boys and girls was Quill and Scroll. Part of a national organization, the Edmund D. Lyon (Withrow’s first principal) chapter was introduced at Withrow in 1942. The club first published a booklet Inklings, which consisted of literary works by student members. Another booklet, Memories of Withrow, was published in 1944. The club appears to have folded by the late 1940s, but was reinstated at Withrow in 1958. As its primary focus was journalistic writing, Quill and Scroll largely consisted of Tower News and Annual literary staff members.
After several years of heartfelt, painstaking organization, meetings, planning and execution, the once-in-a-lifetime Withrow Centennial Celebration took place from Wednesday, September 4th through September 8th , 2019. Presented by the Withrow Alumni Association, the five-day celebration marked our 100 years of providing excellence in education, civic and athletic accomplishments. Additionally, long-standing community and corporate partners, Western & Southern Financial Group, the Cincinnati Herald, Frost, Brown and Todd Legal Firm, and Xavier University, joined the Alumni Association in presenting this grand affair.
The mission or focus of the Withrow High School Alumni Association is to be a supportive partner to current and former students, teachers and staff at Withrow High School and to promote a healthy learning environment that helps prepare students to become successful, productive and contributing members of society.
In pursuit of its mission, the Withrow High School Alumni Association will have a diverse, inclusive, enthusiastic and committed Board of Trustees and general membership that is appropriately structured and financially viable to offer members the opportunity to assist Withrow High School while providing the benefits of participation and affiliation in our organization.
Gentle slopes and lofty tower radiant in the sun,
Arching bridge and shaded valley all our hearts are won.
Withrow’s beauty, Withrow’s splendor fill our hearts with pride,
Love for you our Alma Mater ever will abide.
Friendships made in search of knowledge cherished bonds and true,
Memories of golden hours hold us close to you.
As we venture from your portals aims held ever high,
We’ll look back to glimpse once more the tower ‘gainst the sky.