We are excited to announce the five athletes who have been selected for induction into the Withrow Athletic Hall of Fame in 2018. They are:
- Ethan Allen – Class of 1922 – Ethan entered East High School as a Sophomore in the school’s initial year and proceeded to earn 8 varsity letters (3 for Baseball, 2 each for Basketball and Track, and 1 Football). He played baseball at the University of Cincinnati and for the Cincinnati Reds with a 13 year major league career batting average of .300. Ethan then coached Yale University’s baseball teams for 23 years.
- Bill Chambers – Class of 1931 – Bill was a 4 year Tennis letterman playing both singles and doubles and leading Withrow to 2 PHSL championships. He won the 1931 State Singles Championship and paired with Dick Meyers to win the 1931 State Doubles Championship. Bill played tennis four years at Ohio State University.
- Otis Williams – Class of 1954 – Otis enrolled as a Sophomore earning 6 varsity letters (2 each in Gymnastics Baseball, and Football). He was a two year football All-City running back on 2 PHSL championship teams and received a football scholarship to Ohio State University but instead, chose to pursue a successful musical career.
- Roland West – Class of 1962 – Roland was a 2 year Basketball letterman on teams with a combined 41-7 record, 1 PHSL championship and 2 Sectional and District Championships. In 1962, he was All-City 1st team and State Honorable Mention and had an outstanding University of Cincinnati basketball career.
- Charles “Doc” Gamble – Class of 1990 – Doc was a 3 year Football and 2 year Basketball letterman on teams that earned 4 PHSL championships. He earned All-City honors as a quarterback and led 1988 team to a 10-0 record. He continued a football career at North Dakota School of Science and the University of Tennessee-Martin. Doc was the Withrow Head Football Coach for 7 years compiling a 53-19 record.
The induction ceremony will take place on Friday evening, January 26, 2018 at half-time of the Withrow–Anderson varsity boys’ basketball game.
Game time is 7:30 P.M. Mark your calendar now.
These outstanding athletes will join the exclusive group of thirty-one previous inductees: Walter Laufer ’24, Fred Ratterman ’30, Wilce Carnes ’36, Walt Maerki ’38, Bob Siekmann ’39, Bob Nieman ’45, Joan Hempel Comisar ’48, Harry Andreadis ’50, Dick Ernst ’50, Will Ernst ’52, Dave Plunkett ’52, Tad Schroeder ’54, Dick LeMay ’56, Dave Ritchie ’56, Joel Haynes ’60, Mark Todd ’65, Perry Williams ’65, Joey Jackson ’68, Denny Duermit ’69, Alice Jones ’69, Rudy McClinon ’70, Eddie Beamon ’74, Ron Oester ’74, Louis Orr ’76, LaSalle Thompson ’79, Regina Williams ’84, Ricky Calloway ’85, Dashia Grigsby ’89, Annette McCall ’94, Tanea Green ’99, and Dante Love ’05, Horace Pumphrey ’42, Joe Brefeld ’57, Tyrone Hill ’86, Brandon Hunter ’99 and Skyler Willis ’11.
You can read about the athletic accomplishments of the previous inductees online at Withrow Hall of Fame.
Maintaining a meaningful Hall of Fame requires the efforts of many people starting with YOUR submission of nominations for consideration for induction. The criteria for consideration and Nomination Form are available online. It took way too long to establish the Withrow Athletic Hall of Fame especially for a school which has a long history of highly successful individual and team accomplishments. As we approach 100 years of competitive athletics, please help us with this important recognition effort by donating to the Withrow Athletic Hall of Fame by clicking HERE