We are excited to announce the five athletes who have been selected for induction into the Withrow Athletic Hall of Fame in 2017. They are:
- Horace Pumphrey – Class of 1942 – 4 year Football letter winner, 1st Team All-City 3 years, 1941 1st Team All-State; and Track letter in 1942 before entering the Marine Corps in WWII.
- Joe Brefeld – Class of 1957 – Outstanding all-around athlete earning 7 Varsity letters – 3 in Baseball and 2 each in Football and Basketball before playing Football and Baseball at the University of Michigan
- Tyrone Hill – Class of 1986 – 2 year Basketball letter winner, 1st Team All-City and 3rd Team All-State in 1986; received scholarship to Xavier University and became a 1st round draft pick culminating in a 14 year NBA career.
- Brandon Hunter – Class of 1999 – 2 year Basketball letter winner. inside force on 1998 State Final Four team; received scholarship to Ohio University leading nation in rebounding in 2002-03 and drafted in NBA 2nd
- Skyler Willis – Class of 2011 – 4 year Volleyball letter winner (2010 Conference Player of the Year), 4 year Track letter winner (sprints/high jump on 2 State Runner-Up teams); received scholarship to Akron University earning Mid-American Conference and national recognition as a hurdler, high jumper, and Pentathlon athlete.
The induction ceremony will take place on Friday, February 10, 2017 at half-time of the Withrow–Glen Este varsity boys’ basketball game. Game time is 7:30 P.M. Mark your calendar now.
These outstanding athletes will join the exclusive group of thirty-one previous inductees: Walter Laufer ’24, Fred Ratterman ’30, Wilce Carnes ’36, Walt Maerki ’38, Bob Siekmann ’39, Bob Nieman ’45, Joan Hempel Comisar ’48, Harry Andreadis ’50, Dick Ernst ’50, Will Ernst ’52, Dave Plunkett ’52, Tad Schroeder ’54, Dick LeMay ’56, Dave Ritchie ’56, Joel Haynes ’60, Mark Todd ’65, Perry Williams ’65, Joey Jackson ’68, Denny Duermit ’69, Alice Jones ’69, Rudy McClinon ’70, Eddie Beamon ’74, Ron Oester ’74, Louis Orr ’76, LaSalle Thompson ’79, Regina Williams ’84, Ricky Calloway ’85, Dashia Grigsby ’89, Annette McCall ’94, Tanea Green ’99, and Dante Love ’05. You can read about the athletic accomplishments of the previous inductees online at Withrow Hall of Fame.
Maintaining a meaningful Hall of Fame requires the efforts of many people starting with YOUR submission of nominations for consideration for induction. The criteria for consideration and Nomination Form are available online. It took way too long to establish the Withrow Athletic Hall of Fame especially for a school which has had 97 years of highly successful individual and team accomplishments. Please help in not letting the school forget to recognize its past athletic triumphs and highlights.
The WAHOF Selection Committee members are due recognition for their diligence in the selection process of reviewing 26 nominations to select the 2017 inductees. If anyone has an interest in becoming involved with this Committee or would like to assist in defraying the costs of this program, please contact WAI online or at 513-363-9085.